- Published on 09/17/2013 - 10:31 am
- Written by HOPE YEN, Associated Press
(AP) — The Census Bureau reports the number of Americans in poverty stood at 15 percent in 2012.
- Published on 09/17/2013 - 10:13 am
- Written by HENRY C. JACKSON, Associated Press
(AP) — Every weekend, Cindy Martinson treks from her home in Mason City, Iowa, about 160 miles roundtrip to Waseca, Minn. She visits the federal prison there, where her daughter Mandy Martinson, a first-time offender, is in the middle of 15-year prison sentence.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 1:49 pm
- Written by JOSHUA FREED, AP Business Writer
(AP) — Wall Street was happy to see Larry Summers go.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 1:21 pm
- Written by MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer
(AP) — Hiring is soft. Pay is barely up. Consumers are cautious. Economic growth has yet to pick up.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 11:37 am
- Written by BRETT ZONGKER, ERIC TUCKER, LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press
(AP) — As many as three gunmen opened fire Monday inside the Washington Navy Yard, attacking office workers at a heavily guarded military facility in the heart of the nation's capital. At least 12 people were killed.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 11:33 am
- Written by MARCIA DUNN, AP Aerospace Writer
(AP) — A Virginia company makes its debut this week as a space station delivery service, and the lone American aboard the orbiting lab is counting on a fresh stash of chocolate.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 11:32 am
- Written by Associated Press
(AP) — Cumulus Media Inc., the second largest radio station owner in the country, is partnering with music streaming service Rdio, stepping up competition with Clear Channel.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 11:30 am
- Written by THOMAS BEAUMONT, Associated Press
(AP) — He has never been elected to anything, not even "student council in high school," as he boasts. He has little patience for schmoozing. In dealing with people, he admits to being "pretty blunt" - more suited to running a large private equity firm, which Bruce Rauner did successfully for 30 years, than seeking votes for governor, which he intends to do in Illinois next year.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 11:26 am
- Written by MATT GOURAS, Associated Press
(AP) — U.S. Sen. Max Baucus said Monday that his bipartisan effort to reform the nation's tax code helped attract some of the business world's biggest names to Montana for a conference on creating jobs.
- Published on 09/16/2013 - 10:29 am
- Written by JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press
(AP) — In a blistering warning to congressional Republicans, President Barack Obama said it would be the "height of irresponsibility" for lawmakers to cause another economic crisis just five years after the collapse of the nation's financial system.