- Published on 11/20/2012 - 1:55 pm
- Written by Business Journal Staff
U.S. District Judge Anthony Ishii has sentenced Kenneth Noel Nelson Jr., 59, of Bakersfield to 6 ½ years in prison and fined $9 million for a scheme to defraud organic farmers and other customers of his organic fertilizer business by adding synthetic chemicals to his fertilizer and labeling the product as organic.
- Published on 11/12/2012 - 1:50 pm
- Written by GOSIA WOZNIACKA,Associated Press
(AP) — Want to avoid pesticides and antibiotics in your produce, meat, and dairy foods? Prefer to pay more to make sure farm animals were treated humanely, farmworkers got their lunch breaks, bees or birds were protected by the farmer and that ranchers didn't kill predators?
- Published on 11/07/2012 - 2:33 pm
- Written by John Lindt, contributing writer
Visalia-based California Dairies, Inc. (CDI) has purchased the assets of Security Milk Producers Association, a milk cooperative that produces around 1.3 billion pounds of milk a year with sales of around $300 million. According to CDI’s President Andrei Mikhalevsky, the CDI board is expected to finalize a deal this week at its regular meeting.
- Published on 10/15/2012 - 12:16 pm
- Written by Tracie Cone, AP Writer
(AP) — Cannon Michael is a folk hero across California's agriculture heartland, where these days the price of scrap metal influences a farmer's bottom line as much that of the fine pima cotton he grows.