BLOG: Local tech companies fastest growing
- Published on 08/23/2012 - 12:21 pm
- Written by Gabriel Dillard
When it comes to growing the Valley's economy in a significant and sustainable way, technology companies must take a front seat.
That's evident in this year's list of the 5,000 fastest-growing companies in the US, featured in Inc. Magazine's September issue. Several Central Valley companies made the list, and most count innovation and technology as their main product or service.
The region's top dog on the list was Fresno's CargoBarn, which experienced a startling 3,894-percent growth in the last three years, with $7 million in revenue last year. The company, founded in 2007, specializes in freight shipping and logistics services. It has 10 employees — seven of which were hired in the last three years.
While its not the latest tech startup, CargoBarn undoubtedly uses the latest technology to provide its services.
It is the highest-ranking local company, coming in at 65th out of 5,000 across the country.
"We are very humbled to receive this recognition," said CEO Cameron Baird in a statement.
The next highest ranked company is Farmandland.com, a Hanford-based search engine for farmland investment opportunities. It experienced 503-percent growth in the last three years, with $2.7 million in revenue last year. It is ranked 701, and has 11 employees.
The rest of the local companies also rely on technology to a certain extent, which means local economic development experts must continue to focus on local technology sector growth. Unless heavy manufacturing makes a magical rebirth in California, technology growth will be our biggest opportunity for organic growth.
That's where the real opportunities exist.
Here are the rest of the local Inc. 5,000 companies. Each deserves recognition for representing the Valley well. Please let me know if I missed one.
No. 1,872 — Subco, Fresno
• Magazine publisher services
• 147 percent growth in the last three years
• $11.5 million 2011 revenue
• 31 employees
No. 2,002 — BCT Consulting, Fresno
• Business IT services
• 134 percent growth in the last three years
• $3.5 million 2011 revenue
• 31 employees
• 14 jobs added in last three years
No. 2,250 — Solutions by Design, Clovis
• Advertising and marketing firm
• 113 percent growth in the last three years
• $2.3 million 2011 revenue
• 18 employees
• Six jobs added in last three years
No. 2,534 — ShoWare, Fresno
• Turn-key box office solutions
• 95 percent growth in the last three years
• $6.6 million 2011 revenue
• 44 employees
• 11 jobs added in last three years
No. 2,554 — Hi-Tech Home, Clovis
• Home theater and automation services
• 94 percent growth in the last three years
• $2.2 million 2011 revenue
• 12 employees
• 4 jobs added in last three years
No. 2,815 — Decipher, Fresno
• Market research services
• 82 percent growth in the last three years
• $14.6 million 2011 revenue
• 109 employees
• 35 jobs added in the last three years.