- Beauty pageant winner buys Fresno flower shop
- Tulare County reservoir plans in the works
- Work on Madera’s 6,578-home Gateway Village starts July
- Settlement gives 2,270-home Friant Ranch green light
- Consultant: Swearengin has Fresno at heart with controller run
- Business owners want theft of recyclables stopped
- Quebe named family business chair
- Pacific Ethanol to reopen Madera plant after 5 years
- Fresno law firm wins class-action suit
- Tulare Regional Medical Center receives $2M gift
The Fresno Bee is testing a quadcopter for possible use in...
The Milano addition of The Terraces at San Joaquin Gardens...
Marketplace at El Paseo to open Monday.Marketplace at El Paseo...
From left, Ranjeet K. Brar, Andrea Henrickson, Miranda...
Warning: getimagesize(http://www.thebusinessjournal.com/images/stories/2012/nonprofits/fightinghunger.jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/tbjsite/public_html/plugins/content/smartresizer/smartresizer.php on line 598
Food bank to receive $45K from Walmart
- Published on 05/06/2013 - 2:13 pm
- Written by Business Journal staff
The Community Food Bank of Fresno will receive $45,000 as part of Walmart's Fighting Hunger Together initiative.
In all, 40 organizations across the country will split up $3 million in total grants as part of the campaign that had Facebook users voting through "likes" for the organization they thought would do the most good in alleviating hunger.
The Community Food Bank received 3,442 votes, coming in at 11 out of 100 food banks and partner feeding agencies to be selected.
Forty of those organizations, including Community Food Bank, will receive $45,000 each while another 60 are set to receive $20,000.
The grants are intended to support efforts like local backpack programs that provide meals to children at their schools and programs to teach families how to grow their own healthy foods.
Last year, the Fresno Community Food Bank received $50,000 from the Fighting Hunger Initiative, which was first launched in 2010 as a $2-billion commitment by Walmart to help fight hunger in America.
The Community Food Bank, established in 1992, serves 160 thousand people every month and distributes 22 million pounds of food every year through shelters, churches and other partner agencies.